This pizza was completely spontaneous, as we just walked through the farmer's market and picked out ingredients that we loved and thought would go well together. We ended up with crumbly Italian sausage, fresh basil, over easy quail eggs, melty Italian cheeses, tomato sauce, and fresh cracked pepper over a crispy garlic and herb crust. We often order a pizza at one of our favorite Italian restaurants in Charleston that has quail eggs and it is SO good! The combination of the sausage, eggs, and cheese is perfect as the sausage adds a little spice and robust flavor while the eggs are perfectly mild with a unique texture. As mentioned above, we found our quail eggs at the local farmer's market, but I believe they often have them at Whole Foods too or check your local specialty grocery. They are perfect for topping pizzas or flatbreads because of their petite size and mild flavor. You can find all the ingredients and instructions to make your own pizza below!
Trader Joe's pizza dough (It comes in white, wheat, and garlic + herb.): 1 package
4 ounces pizza sauce
1/2 lb. mild Italian ground sausage
4 oz shredded mozzarella shredded cheese
4 oz Parmesan or Asiago shredded cheese
5-6 quail eggs
salt + pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage until cooked through. Drain the grease and transfer to a paper towel to cool.
3. Prep the pizza crust according to instructions and lay out on a baking sheet or pizza stone.
4. Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce onto the crust.
5. Combine both cheeses together and sprinkle half the cheese over the sauce.
6. Spread the cooked sausage across the pizza, then carefully crack the quail eggs one by one across the pizza.
7. Tear the fresh basil into small pieces and sprinkle across the top of the pizza then add the rest of the cheese. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on top,
8. Bake at 450 until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.