Well I couldn't wait any longer to make my first fall recipe of the season, especially with the amazing cool weather we've been having the past few days in Kentucky! I normally don't do much cooking when it comes to breakfast, unless it breakfast for dinner, but I do LOVE waffles! They are probably my favorite breakfast food, although I have to admit I hardly ever make them from scratch. These waffles are perfect because they're not overwhelmingly sweet and the crisp apples add just the right amount of brightness and fall flavor. They're also super easy and quick to make and something the whole family will love! Get all the ingredients and instructions for whipping these up below!
for the waffles (makes 4-6 waffles):
- 1 cup finely diced apple
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter - melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
for the bourbon syrup:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
1. Mix the first 5 ingredients in large bowl. Next add flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt and continue mixing until smooth.
2. Carefully pour the batter into a preheated and greased waffle iron. Cook until crisp, about 4-5 minutes a piece.
3. For the bourbon syrup: melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour in the syrup and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, until the syrup is warmed all the way through. Remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla, salt, and bourbon.
4. Top waffles with some salted butter, drizzle of bourbon syrup, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and powdered sugar!